15th January 2610
I was
glum and let out a heavy sigh as I flipped through the results and recordings
of my past experiments that showed nothing but failure. Deep down I knew it
would be hard and bound to fail. After all, nothing ever ends pretty when you
try to play God and yet I went against all my ethos and rationality when I
first indulged and committed myself to this cause. I have passed the point of
no return.
The
road to success is never easy. After all, didn’t Thomas Edison fail one
thousand times before creating the light bulb? Who am I to give up so easily
especially for a cause so pure? Who am I to give up on humanity and deny my
generation’s second chance at life when I know that it can be made possible?
No, I cannot.
The
trick to bringing back the dead is to first understand how humans live and what
motivates them to stay alive. For it’s not just the heart that needs to be coaxed
back to life; it is also the brain. I did not want to create zombies. I wanted
to create humans, with memories of their past as well emotions. To do that, I
could not experiment on lab rats. I needed to experiment on humans. It was
crucial to have some emotional attachment; to understand subjects physically
and emotionally. Another trick is to cut them open while their brains and
organs are still active and in good condition where I will then proceed to
freeze them and attempt to revive it before the organs start to decay.
I
snapped out of my trance and walked purposefully to my lab. The temperature was
set at below freezing point and the moment I stepped into it, my breath started
fogging. The cold, pungent smell of medicine and blood was all too familiar to
me. I took a deep breath before picking up the prepared syringe on the counter
and walked over to a boy; tied up to the metal bed in the middle of the room.
Billy was a subject I met at the playground.
“How
are you feeling Billy? Not too cold I hope?” I said, looking at his tears streaked
face. He did not reply though for his mouth was gagged but his eyes responded
to me and it followed the syringe I had in my hand. He began moaning. I ignored
the stifling of my heart, injected him with lignocaine and waited for the drug
to take effect.
I do
not think he will ever understand the fine line between heroism and evil. That,
to be a hero, you have to be strong enough to do whatever it takes for the
greater good. I slay to save. And even though he will never see me as a hero, I
have no regrets. I took a deep breath and brought the scalpel to his skin.
No comments:
Post a Comment